Friday, June 20, 2014

Waiting for the Summer Solstice

As I ready for the Summer Solstice, thoughts of how to spend the perfect summer pop into my head. For educators, summer always means a time to recharge our batteries while engaging in passions that may have been kept on the sidelines during the school year. 

Truth be said, summer unfolds each year as a portal to new possibilities. We can savor each moment that comes before us or plan endlessly to create a "perfect summer." A better plan for me this year, is to look for options in small moments. The small moment below, captured at the beach, reminds me of the importance of reflecting as a tool to recharge my batteries. 

Inspired by Jone's posting of William Carlos Williams' poem, Summer Song, I decided to write the following poem while waiting for the summer months to begin. You can read this poem and connect with Poetry Friday writers at Jone's site, Check it Out. Jone is this week's host.
I WATCH IN AWE:
ITS FLIGHT,
A SIMPLE MOVEMENT
CIRCLING THE HORIZON-
A SWEEP OF THE SKY
LIKE A DANCER 
IMMERSED IN MOTION-
WINGS OUTSTRETCHED
GLIDING ACROSS
THE GLISTENING SEA,
A WANDERING WARRIOR
DIVING BEAK TO SAND
BOLDLY SCAVENGERING 
FOR SUSTAINANCE.

I SIT IN SILENCE:
REFLECTING,
A SINGULAR PROCESS
INTERSECTING LIFE,
A FLOW OF THOUGHTS
LIKE WATERS
CASCADING TOGETHER
TOWARD AN OUTLET-
WATCHING THE MOVEMENT
STUDYING THE LANDSCAPE,
DEEPLY ENGAGED
WHILE WAITING EAGERLY
FOR THE ALLURING CALL
OF THE SUMMER SONG
TO RECHARGE LIFE.

LIKE THE WANDERING WARRIOR
LOOKING FOR FOOD,
I SCAN SUN-DRENCHED SHORES
READY TO CAPTURE
THE ESSENCE OF RENEWAL.

No comments:

Post a Comment