Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Listening, I Hear the Call of Winter

January is thought by many to be the month for dreamers. It is the start of the new year so naturally we dream big. Resolutions, one little word to guide your thinking, and nerdultions are the topics during the first two weeks of January. Fans dream of their teams being superstars and their movie stars becoming A-list contenders. Travelers in the northeast dream of warm-weather travels, and the list of dreamers doing what dreamers do goes on. 

As I sit reflecting on the movie, Selma, that stirred strong emotions inside me and the words of Martin Luther King's I Have a Dream speech, I flip through my posts from last year. I find a quote in a previous post that resonates with me.

There is nothing like a dream to create the future.
Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

So to keep with the tradition of dreaming big, I penned a poem based on a photograph my daughter posted while skiing in West Virginia. Now, I read it aloud while listening to the call of winter. 


While winter calls to me, I listen to Francois Hardy's Song of Winter, 
where she compares herself to 
the song of winter, 
the falling snow, 
the cool of evening, 
the velvet sky,
the misty rainbow, 
and the fallen star.


At just what point in January do we recognize that our dreams can become something more than an abstract notion? When do we step outside the dream to be proactive in its pursuit?  When do our dreams fly toward fulfillment? 

Martin Luther King, Jr. had a dream. He actively pursued his dream of equality and justice through peaceful protest. Unfortunately, his life was cut off before his dream was fulfilled. Now, is the time for us to reflect on where we stand on the fulfillment of our dreams? The winter season allows us to slow down a bit and savor the moments, while planning our next steps.

The ultimate dream maker, Walt Disney, said, "All of our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." January is the month for dreamers and February the month for doers. Are you ready to pursue your dreams, continue your resolutions, one little words, and nerdlutions in pursuit of your dream? 

You might enjoy listening to the following soothing piano music while you dream this January. The call of winter is calling me to create and act upon my dreams and passions. Will winter call your to move forward?



This slice of life comes to you today. On Tuesday, you can find the musings of other slicers at Two Writing Teachers. Enjoy the slices that speak of small moments in our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment