Saturday, January 9, 2016

Celebrating One Word

Trending again this year, is a movement to invite one word into our lives as a replacement to a long lists of resolutions. I started off this past week with my one word, believe, confident that it would be my guide on a journey through 2016. 


Then, an idea popped into my head that would bring warmth to the holidays and allow friends to enjoy good food, drink, and conversations. I celebrated long-standing friendships with a spontaneous gathering at my house last Sunday.


January 8th, the Feast of the Epiphany brought back memories of Little Christmas, a family tradition celebrating the journey of the three kings to Bethlehem. My mother's 1940's manger scene was front and center on the mantle with a new addition: a beautifully crafted angel from Rwanda brought back by my son-in-law's sister who has been working there this year. To celebrate this year, my family invited friends over for a relaxing evening.


My one word made connections with my colleague Holly Mueller's word during our Spiritual Journey Thursday blog time.


I found another song to add to my one word play list. While listening to it, I blacked out words from the lyrics to create a different inspirational message.


Nights understood fear-
knew that we could achieve
when you believe.

Time proves hearts full
seek faith, miracles.

Believe when you 
can't see the way.

Hope is near.
Believe.

Today, I celebrate my one word, believe, and all that it will offer me this year. Walking a journey in faith with believe as a guide is a strong action that requires faith, stamina, and hope. There will be signposts along the way and probably slippage under foot but there will always be a tomorrow to figure out a new route.  

Each week, Ruth Ayres invites all to celebrate life at her site, Celebrate This Week. Please visit the site to read about the different ways community members celebrated their week

No comments:

Post a Comment