Wednesday, March 8, 2017

March Musings 8: Be Bold For Change

Today is a day to officially celebrate women around the world for it is International Women's Day 2017. I honor the campaign theme, #BeBoldForChange. It is a strong call for action.

Backstory:
I come from a family of strong women who gave up much to raise their families with pride. My grandmother came to America, with her infant daughter (my mother), from Italy during the 1920 immigration wave. She took a bold step to leave her home to journey to a new land where her husband was waiting for her. Never learning to read and write in English, she provided her family with a strong sense of identity, love of learning, and an ethical lifestyle. My mother continued the tradition, passing on her love of life and learning to my children, whom she helped raise. During her high school years, my daughter was accepted into the Girls' Leadership Program at the Eleanor Roosevelt Center at Val-Kill, NY and has continued her leadership journey in the business world. Women in my family have had and continue to have commitment, perseverance, and pride.

#BeBoldForChange Commitment:
At the International Women's Day site, there are commitment slogans to choose. My choice: 
I'll celebrate women's achievement 
and champion women's education. 

Poetic Thought:
The following is the first stanza of a poem I wrote for a challenge created by Donna Smith. You can read more about this here


Created with Canva

How will you #BeBoldForChange? 


This post is the 8th in the series titled March Musings for the March Slice of Life Story Challenge created by Two Writing Teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment